Monday, June 25, 2012

Living Large

Just another photographic update.  Enjoy!


Not the BEST photo, but my first zucchini from the garden.  PROUD MOM! 
The pumpkins are kinda taking over.  These will NOT be a raised bed experiment next time around.

Pumpkin from another angle.  Even though they are spilling over the sides, they quite obviously would have taken over the whole bed had I not added that trellis.  I get the feeling I will need to add another one.

I was so concerned with the cucumbers since this was my like 2nd-3rd go, and only 2 seedlings survived.  They're kickin' butt now though! 

See my little baby cukes!


The only strawberries that really worked for me were these, the sequoia.  I have 2 other varieties with not a single berry on 'em.  I don't know enough about them, but I thought they were all supposed to mature at the same time.  Suggestions?

Lex loves coming out and eating them straight from the garden.

Mmm...

Oops, back to the pumpkins... this is incredible:  One of the vines were growing SO strong it pierced through one of the leaves.

Right through to the bottom. Isn't that amazing?  I was so impressed.

Pumpkins coming...

Something likes my okra more than I do.

Here's my squash (zucchini and yellow summer crookneck).  You can tell my the different leaves which is which.

On the left are soybeans (Edemame), Ice Box watermelon in the center (slow going), and heirloom mix bush beans on the right.

Japanese Beetles are here and trying to ruin EVERYTHING!  I've sprayed my deck pots down with soapy water, but with the sun blazing, it's scorching the leaves.  Also, the beetles seem to be laughing at me.  Suggestions? 
Poor little carrots being shrouded out by the squash.  I'll have to fix this today.

Add caption



I'm so proud of myself.  I never though my gardens would turn out as well as whey have.  Thank you to everyone who's lent me a hand throughout this season so far!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly, I came here from your link in Soiled Again. I enjoyed seeing all of your lovely plants and veggies. I can't help you with battling the bugs, because I don't even use organic pest controls, except for picking beetles off when I see them. That's partly because I worry about killing the beneficial insects, and partly because I am not organized enough to look into other methods. Maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Corner Gardener Sue! Thank you for checking out my blog.

    As far as the beetles go, I have yet to find a solution. They have gotten a hold of many plants this season, but others they don't even touch. It's very strange. Maybe next year I will be more proactive. I have used grub control on my yard, in hopes to keep them from returning, but I have read that it a pretty lengthy processes. I refuse to let those stinkers keep me and my garden down! Haha!

    Thank you for participating, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future. =)

    ReplyDelete